Miniature portrait of Henrietta Louisa Fermor Comtesse de Pomfret (née Jeffreys, 1698-1761) with dedication engraved on the back of the medallion. 18th century work.
Henrietta Louisa is an English letter writer.
She was born in 1698 in Leicester Square, London, the only surviving child of John Jeffreys, 2nd Baron Jeffreys of Wem, Shropshire, and his wife, Lady Charlotte Herbert, daughter and heiress of Philip Herbert, 7th Earl of Pembroke and his wife, Henriette de Kérouaille, sister of Charles II’s mistress Louise, Duchess of Portsmouth.
On July 14, 1720, Lady Henrietta Louisa Jeffreys married Thomas Fermor, 2nd Baron Leominster, who the following year was created Earl of Pomfret, or Pontefract, Yorkshire. He was then made a Chevalier du Bain, and in September 1727 was appointed master of the horse to Queen Caroline, of whom Lady Pomfret was also one of the ladies of the bedroom. In 1730, Jeffreys compiled a collection of prints in an album titled “Heads, English and Foreign Collected by Henrietta Louisa Jeffreys, Countess of Pomfret”, now housed at Queen’s University, Kingston. When the Queen died in November 1737, Lady Pomfret, together with her friend Frances, Countess of Hertford, retired from court.
Lord Pomfret died on July 8, 1753 and was succeeded by his eldest son, George. The son’s extravagance forces him to sell the furniture from his seat at Easton Neston house, Northamptonshire. His statues, which were part of the Arundelian collection and had been bought by his grandfather, were bought by his mother to be given to the University of Oxford 2. A letter of thanks, enclosed in a silver box, to him was presented by the university on February 25, 1755 3 and a poem in his honor was published at Oxford the following year.
Lady Pomfret died en route to Bath on December 15, 1761, leaving a family of four sons and six daughters. She is buried in Easton Neston, but a lovely cenotaph was later erected in her memory in St. Mary’s Church, Oxford.
Portrait of exquisite craftsmanship enclosed in an original medallion frame in finely chiseled and gilded bronze, bears a dedication with his name engraved on the back.
medallion cm 9 x 6.3
miniature cm 4.7 x 3.5